Published May 8th, 2017
If you don’t like the weather, just wait a minute.
There’s an old saying in Maine, if you don’t like the weather, just wait a minute. The weather here in coastal Maine can range from tank tops to sweater weather in a matter of a few hours. This unpredictable weather makes packing for a wedding in Maine tricky. You’ll need to plan for warm summer days and cool coastal evenings when the sun goes down. Here are our suggestions for making your trip here a comfortable one. Take a look at this packing list to ensure sure you’re prepared for any kind of New England weather.
Maine Wedding Weekend Packing List
- Sun Protection – Outdoor receptions on the ocean in Maine are beautiful, but the sun’s reflection off the water can do a number on your skin and eyes, so be sure to pack hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, and long sleeves. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to get a sunburn on a cloudy day, so remember to wear sunglasses and sunscreen every day while you’re here. If you plan on being outside, especially during peak exposure hours between 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., be sure to don the proper attire. The weekend itinerary will likely involve outdoor activities all weekend and so it’s best to be prepared!
- Appropriate Clothing – The coast of Maine offers a wide variety of things to do, from hiking in Acadia, sailing on Penobscot Bay, to lazy days at the beach. It’s important to come prepared with the proper attire for days spent exploring and evenings spent enjoying dinner and cocktails with your loved ones. Be sure to pack sneakers, hiking boots, windbreakers and beach gear for the daytime adventures. Of course, you’ll want to pack appropriate attire for the more formal wedding events like the rehearsal dinner and wedding day. Regardless of the dress code at the wedding, you’re attending, guys should pack a sport coat or sweater and ladies should bring a light coat or wrap in case there is a chill.
- Appropriate Footwear – Here at French’s Point we have so many outdoor ammenities: beautiful oceanfront lawn, a gravel bluff walk, a rocky beach path, along with our cobblestone terrace and grassy lawn by the wedding gazebo. You’ll want to bring along appropriate footwear to navigate all of these diverse surfaces.
- Camera, Go-Pro, Art Supplies, Journal – Whatever your go-tos for preserving memories, be sure to bring them along. Maine offers some of the best natural beauty on the East Coast and your weekend of events is going to create everlasting memories, be ready to capture them!
- Map/GPS – From secret beaches to amazing views, to quaint restaurants, you will be surprised at what you will find when you aren’t looking. Maine is a great place to get lost. So bring your map and GPS, but be willing to toss is aside at some point during your visit. If you have time during your vacation, get out and explore Maine!
- Bike, Kayak/Canoe, Golf Clubs – With hundreds of parks, trails, lakes, courses and miles of coastline, there is plenty to do and see here in Maine. Bring along any of the recreational equipment you use to enjoy the outdoors. If you’re able, add a few days onto the beginning or the end of your visit, so you have plenty of time to experience all Maine has to offer. It’s not often that you get to visit Vacationland, be sure to make the most of it!
We look forward to hosting you here at French’s Point. Give us a call to schedule your tour of our estate.
Featured photo by Rebecca Arthurs Photography.