French’s Point is a family-owned and operated vacation rental home. We kindly ask that you care for our home as you would your own during your stay, and return the home to us at check out as you found it upon check-in. Because the estate has two homes and 14 acres, and to make the time here more comfortable and enjoyable for your group, we suggest that Hosts select a resident from each of the houses to be the “House Captain”. This House Captain will be a point person for guests with questions, will help relay information to help the enjoyment of the property, and help ensure rental terms are followed. Here are a few points of information the House Captains should know in preparation for your stay:
- The House Captain is the primary point of contact for the guests within the house if they have questions about the weekend activities. They are a point of contact with the Hosts, the wedding planner, and the French’s Point family. They assist guests in finding their rooms at check-in and answering questions about the homes, relay the details of the weekend’s events, and assist in a smooth check out process. There is a binder located on the main level of each building with the welcome information and an area Resource Guide. There are floor plans in the Welcome Center of each home with room assignments as well.
- We ask that the House Captain arrives at check-in with the hosts of the stay so we can address questions and help familiarize you with the home before the remainder of the guests arrive at the estate. Please confirm this time with your hosts.
- Please help keep guests mindful of the 10pm-9am Quiet Hours at the Retreat House and 9pm-9am Quiet Hours at the Farm House. During quiet hours, all guest activity and sound must be contained within the buildings by 10:00pm. All fire pit use and outdoor activities need to cease by this time.
- Guests can park their cars in front of the homes to unload, but vehicles should be moved to designated parking areas during your stay.
- During events where there is a bus on site that is providing shuttle service, we ask there be no cars parked in the front of the Farm House along the road. This area will be bus parking only.
- Please share with guests that if they leave their rooms or common areas vacant for a long period of time, all windows and exterior doors need to be shut. Maine weather can change quickly. We also ask guests to please turn off all lights and AC units when the room is not occupied to help conserve energy.
- During your stay, all trash from both the Farm House and the Retreat House needs to be taken to the dumpster. The dumpster gets emptied on Thursdays. We suggest doing a daily walk-through of the common areas of the building you are staying in to ensure it stays clear of clutter throughout the duration of your stay.
- French’s Point recycles redeemable (bottles & cans with a ME redemption label only). Please separate these items only from your trash. Inside the homes, containers are marked for collection of redeemables in the kitchen and common areas. During your stay, please place all redeemable (Bottles & Cans with a ME redemption label ONLY) in the barrels to the right and left of the dumpster inside the enclosure. If you are the House Captain at the Farm House, these Bottles and Cans can be placed within the receptacles within the tree hollow along the roadside. If these receptacles fill during your stay, please bring the load down to the dumpster enclosure. If bottles and cans do not have a ME redemption sticker, please place them in the dumpster.
- During your stay, cardboard can be disposed of in the designated receptacle near the dumpster enclosure. Please do not leave cardboard in any other area.
- At check out, please return all furnishings, games and equipment to their original locations, & remove all food & personal effects. Bed linens & towels will be removed by housekeeping.
- At check out, all dishes need to be put away or in the dishwasher at departure.
- At check out, all keys and chalkboards need to be returned to the suite doors.
- At check out, all trash, cardboard & redeemables should be removed to the dumpster enclosure.
Please read through our Welcome Information and our Check Out document. Should you need assistance related to our facilities, please contact us during our office hours (9am-4pm) by calling 207-567-3650. In case of an emergency, please call the same number. Our office line is forwarded to a mangers phone after hours. We occupy an office located on the lower level of the Retreat House near the Catering Kitchen. For assistance during your stay, please ring the doorbell outside the kitchen, email us at email@example.com, or give us a call.
Photography by The Light & Color
We love spending time with our family here at French’s Point. Family is really what this place is all about, our family and yours. Some of my favorite memories of this place are of the holidays spent here with my family. We do offer some holiday reservations each year to other families so they can make their own memories together at French’s Point. Spend Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, or even your Family Reunion here at French’s Point. The estate is ideal for large families that travel both near and far to one large home. Both homes at French’s Point (the Retreat House and the Farm House) provide a beautiful, warm, inviting place to celebrate the season. They are fully appointed with bathroom linens, bed linens, kitchens, dining tables, chairs, fireplaces and lounge seating. Decorate it to suit the season. Hire a horse-drawn sleigh or hay wagon for rides on the expansive grounds. Enjoy the outdoor fire pits for s’mores & hot cocoa. Bring your snowshoes or boots for a walk on 100 acres of trails. Sled the epic hill on the western slope of the farmhouse. Enjoy hot mulled cider in front of a roaring fire and catch up with your loved ones with holiday music playing in the background. Enjoy your own family holiday traditions at French’s Point. Make this your home for the holidays.
If you are hosting a stay at French’s Point, we want you and your family to have a smooth arrival without surprises, know what to expect while you are here, and enjoy the property to the fullest extent. As the host of a reservation at French’s Point, in preparation for your stay at French’s Point, there are a few things we want to share with you before you arrive to ensure a wonderful experience:
- Please confirm your check-in time with our office no later than 1 week prior to your arrival. We request that you as the hosts & your designated House Captains arrive an hour or more before your guests. We will confirm which member of our team will be here to greet you that day.
- A welcome area with a 2’x3’ bulletin board is provided at the entryway to both the Retreat House, Farm House & Beach House to help guests find their rooms. A map of the 14-acre property & floor plans of the houses are posted on each of these boards. Signs will help direct guests to their rooms once inside the home. We suggest posting the weekend itinerary on the bulletin board & providing a copy in your guest’s room as well.
- Please submit the room assignment list to our office no later than 2 weeks prior to your arrival. We will write the names of each suite’s occupants on the chalkboard signs which hang on the hooks on the outside of the suite doors prior to check-in. This will help guests find their rooms with ease.
- When you arrive, the main level of the Retreat House, Beach House & Farm House will be unlocked. We do not have security concerns that would require you to lock the main doors at night.
- The Catering Kitchen will be locked between the hours of 4pm-9am. However, when events are taking place, this area will be locked between the hours of midnight and 9am. If you wish to get ice or use the commercial coffee maker, please do so between the hours of 9am-4pm.
- Keys to each guest room will be in the keyhole upon check-in. If an additional set of keys is needed for guest rooms, please contact our office during business hours.
- If you are providing welcome bags, boxes or baskets, you can deliver these to the suites upon arrival, prior to their check-in.
- When you arrive, if you have event items that need to go in the cooler, you can stock them in the walk-in cooler just outside the tent hallway and recreation room on the west side lower level of the Retreat House. This cooler is accessible between the hours of 9am-4pm, or when you have events of more than 50 guests taking place. This cooler is locked at night. Please be sure to get provisions stored in this cooler when it is accessible. Please note that late September – mid-May, we do not recommend storing flowers in this cooler because of cool nighttime temperatures.
- 9. If you need to store event décor or other items, there is room to do so in the closet near the front portico entrance. This area is not locked during the day. Store anything of value in your suite.
- If you have items to deliver to the tent, do so at check-in so you do not have to move these items twice. Keep this is mind when you are packing. We suggest labeling bags and boxes by their event location and event name/date.
- If you would like to have items shipped to French’s Point for your stay, please ensure that they are received by our office no sooner than the Monday prior to your arrival date due to our limited storage. Please send tracking information to our office and advise us if you are expecting a package or mailing during your stay and by what means it is being sent. You can mail items to French’s Point 246 Hersey Retreat Road Stockton Springs, ME 04981 ATTN: Your Name. Please note that USPS, UPS and Fed-Ex deliveries typically arrive between 2pm-5pm Monday-Saturday. Items delivered after our office closes will be delivered to you the next day.
We look forward to hosting your family and friends during this special time. Thank you for choosing French’s Point.
As we do almost every winter, the season was spent completing a number of major maintenance and repair projects to keep our beautiful buildings and grounds in top working order. We also completed a major renovation to the bedroom suites on the second and third floors of the Retreat House.
The Top Level Apartment
We updated and refurbished the Top-Level Apartment in the Retreat House to offer it as a cozy nest to guests, with an impressive view of the bay. My parents, Bob and Bonnie made this apartment home for eight years. They hosted many a family dinner, had slumber parties with their grandchildren in the large closets under the eaves of the roofline that they dubbed the “Hobbit Holes” and rested their weary heads after long days of love poured into the property. They loved the gentle breezes, the sound of the rain on the roof and the incredible sunrises and sunsets. My mother lovingly refers to this space as “The Nest”. I think this name is quite appropriate. This winter, they moved just down the road to the Beach Rose Cottage located next to the Farm House with my sweet Grandmama, making way for guests to enjoy this charming apartment.
The privacy that this space offers will give our bridal parties a place to gather, relax and prepare on the wedding day with an open concept kitchen, dining and living space and a waterfront fireplace parlor with a beautiful deck with broad ocean views which is perfect to enjoy a wedding day brunch and watch as the setting below comes to life for your wedding. Just inside from the balcony, the parlor has beautiful natural light and is the perfect place for your hair and make-up artists to set up shop on your wedding day. In the parlor is a tiny sink which was my grandfather, Edgar’s. He loved antiques and saw the beauty in the forgotten. It is a sweet little detail in this space. There are two large, elegant king bedroom suites on this floor as well with sitting areas, beautiful bathrooms and private balconies looking to the east and west. You are going to love the cozy setting, gorgeous views and soothing privacy that the top floor offers you and your nearest and dearest!
We will share the details of the other Retreat House Suites & enhancements in upcoming posts. We hope you love them as much as we do.
As we do almost every winter, this season was spent completing a number of major maintenance and repair projects to keep our beautiful buildings and grounds in top working order. We also completed a major renovation to the bedroom suites on the second and third floors of the Retreat House. I have shared with you the details of the newly refurbished Top Level Apartment in the Retreat House, Suite 1 and Suite 2, both located on the second floor, in recent posts.
The second level of the Retreat House now offers four newly renovated suites with en suite bathrooms and six total bedrooms on this floor. All of the rooms on the top, second-level and main floor of the Retreat House have been dedicated to family members and dear friends that played a key role in our stewardship of this property. Suite 3- The Gay Bean Dion Suite is our largest suite with a massive ocean view deck with hammock, hammock chairs, cafe table and chairs to take in the views. The room also offers a sitting area and an en suite bathroom with tub/shower unit.
When we first opened the Retreat House in 2006, I had connected with a childhood friend that had grown up here on the point with my father in the summer times. Her name is Gay Bean Dion. She became a very dear friend and worked very hard to help get the Retreat House up and running. My children know her as “Nanny Gay”. She just recently moved to Rhode Island to be closer to family and we miss her (and her cookies). I dedicated the room to her because she was such a good friend and like a mother to me in some ways. The views from this room really are remarkable, just like Gay. This room is special to me because I lived in it for a time with my wee little girl, Bailey. She learned to walk in this room. Her swinging cradle made by my father used to hang next to my bed and the breeze blowing in from the ocean rocked her to sleep on summer nights.
We will share the details of the other Retreat House Suites & enhancements in upcoming posts. We hope you love them as much as we do.
Much like our views at French’s Point, every room at this award-winning inn and restaurant has a view of the beautiful Penobscot Bay. Their double rooms boast 2 queen beds, air conditioning, a coffee maker, iron and ironing board, data ports, hairdryer, color cable television and voicemail. Their suites include all the amenities of their queen rooms but have a separate living room, two televisions, a sink, microwave oven, refrigerator, toaster and sofa. These suites have either one queen-size bed or one king-size bed. They also offer fireplace rooms that include all of the amenities of the queen rooms but have a fireplace, a balcony and a massage chair. Their Presidential Suite is a luxurious two-room suite with a 4-person hot tub, VCR, CD player, kitchen area with refrigerator, stove, microwave oven and toaster. Barry, their wonderful Innkeeper is friendly, knowledgeable and ready to assist our guests in reserving their stay. All rooms include FREE hot breakfast served in their spacious lobby complete with fireplace and sun deck overlooking the Bay and FREE Wi-Fi!
Address: 159 Searsport Ave., Belfast, ME 04915
Distance from French’s Point: 11 miles/18 minutes
Number of rooms: 83
Property Style: Inn/hotel
Restaurant on Premise: yes
Minimum Rental Duration: n/a
Contact Info: 207-338-2090; firstname.lastname@example.org