For your convenience, there is guest Wi-Fi at French’s Point that extends throughout all four levels of the Retreat House and all three Levels of the Farm House. The Wi-Fi extends outside on the Retreat House Cocktail Terrace and halfway to the Gazebo and is spotty down towards the Tent. Wi-Fi does not extend down to the beaches or Recreation Lawn. Please do not rely on Wi-Fi for your reception music or sound in the tent or ceremony at the Gazebo or Oceanfront Lawn. We suggest you request a system from Wallace Events, your band, or DJ.
French’s Point is a family-owned and operated vacation rental home. We kindly ask that you care for our home as you would your own during your stay, and return the home to us at check out as you found it upon check-in. Because the estate has two homes and 14 acres, and to make the time here more comfortable and enjoyable for your group, we suggest that Hosts select a resident from each of the houses to be the “House Captain”. This House Captain will be a point person for guests with questions, will help relay information to help the enjoyment of the property, and help ensure rental terms are followed. Here are a few points of information the House Captains should know in preparation for your stay:
- The House Captain is the primary point of contact for the guests within the house if they have questions about the weekend activities. They are a point of contact with the Hosts, the wedding planner, and the French’s Point family. They assist guests in finding their rooms at check-in and answering questions about the homes, relay the details of the weekend’s events, and assist in a smooth check out process. There is a binder located on the main level of each building with the welcome information and an area Resource Guide. There are floor plans in the Welcome Center of each home with room assignments as well.
- We ask that the House Captain arrives at check-in with the hosts of the stay so we can address questions and help familiarize you with the home before the remainder of the guests arrive at the estate. Please confirm this time with your hosts.
- Please help keep guests mindful of the 10pm-9am Quiet Hours at the Retreat House and 9pm-9am Quiet Hours at the Farm House. During quiet hours, all guest activity and sound must be contained within the buildings by 10:00pm. All fire pit use and outdoor activities need to cease by this time.
- Guests can park their cars in front of the homes to unload, but vehicles should be moved to designated parking areas during your stay.
- During events where there is a bus on site that is providing shuttle service, we ask there be no cars parked in the front of the Farm House along the road. This area will be bus parking only.
- Please share with guests that if they leave their rooms or common areas vacant for a long period of time, all windows and exterior doors need to be shut. Maine weather can change quickly. We also ask guests to please turn off all lights and AC units when the room is not occupied to help conserve energy.
- During your stay, all trash from both the Farm House and the Retreat House needs to be taken to the dumpster. The dumpster gets emptied on Thursdays. We suggest doing a daily walk-through of the common areas of the building you are staying in to ensure it stays clear of clutter throughout the duration of your stay.
- French’s Point recycles redeemable (bottles & cans with a ME redemption label only). Please separate these items only from your trash. Inside the homes, containers are marked for collection of redeemables in the kitchen and common areas. During your stay, please place all redeemable (Bottles & Cans with a ME redemption label ONLY) in the barrels to the right and left of the dumpster inside the enclosure. If you are the House Captain at the Farm House, these Bottles and Cans can be placed within the receptacles within the tree hollow along the roadside. If these receptacles fill during your stay, please bring the load down to the dumpster enclosure. If bottles and cans do not have a ME redemption sticker, please place them in the dumpster.
- During your stay, cardboard can be disposed of in the designated receptacle near the dumpster enclosure. Please do not leave cardboard in any other area.
- At check out, please return all furnishings, games and equipment to their original locations, & remove all food & personal effects. Bed linens & towels will be removed by housekeeping.
- At check out, all dishes need to be put away or in the dishwasher at departure.
- At check out, all keys and chalkboards need to be returned to the suite doors.
- At check out, all trash, cardboard & redeemables should be removed to the dumpster enclosure.
Please read through our Welcome Information and our Check Out document. Should you need assistance related to our facilities, please contact us during our office hours (9am-4pm) by calling 207-567-3650. In case of an emergency, please call the same number. Our office line is forwarded to a mangers phone after hours. We occupy an office located on the lower level of the Retreat House near the Catering Kitchen. For assistance during your stay, please ring the doorbell outside the kitchen, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or give us a call.
Photography by The Light & Color
We love spending time with our family here at French’s Point. Family is really what this place is all about, our family and yours. Some of my favorite memories of this place are of the holidays spent here with my family. We do offer some holiday reservations each year to other families so they can make their own memories together at French’s Point. Spend Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, or even your Family Reunion here at French’s Point. The estate is ideal for large families that travel both near and far to one large home. Both homes at French’s Point (the Retreat House and the Farm House) provide a beautiful, warm, inviting place to celebrate the season. They are fully appointed with bathroom linens, bed linens, kitchens, dining tables, chairs, fireplaces and lounge seating. Decorate it to suit the season. Hire a horse-drawn sleigh or hay wagon for rides on the expansive grounds. Enjoy the outdoor fire pits for s’mores & hot cocoa. Bring your snowshoes or boots for a walk on 100 acres of trails. Sled the epic hill on the western slope of the farmhouse. Enjoy hot mulled cider in front of a roaring fire and catch up with your loved ones with holiday music playing in the background. Enjoy your own family holiday traditions at French’s Point. Make this your home for the holidays.
In 2017, we began hosting J1 Visa Work/Travel Exchange Students from Russia. We hosted four sweet, hard-working, dedicated girls. They joined our tiny family team that cares for the grounds and homes here at French’s Point. We had an incredible experience so in 2018, we welcomed 6 young ladies from two different Russian universities for the summer at French’s Point. It provides our family the opportunity to host these brilliant young girls, help them refine their grasp of the English language, experience the culture here on the Maine coast, make friends and see a magical part of the world. We also get to know their lovely souls, understand their world and expose our kiddos to another culture. Without these ladies, our family would not be able to be effective stewards of French’s Point. There just are not enough hours in the day for our family to do all the work that must be done for us to offer these homes to our guests. We are grateful beyond words for the opportunity to be apart of their lives and for their help and care for our family legacy. If you see that girls at French’s Point this summer, please say hello and “Spasiba”!
Guests often ask if we have or need air conditioning at French’s Point. The reality is that the architect Wilfred E. Mansur, who designed the retreat house, did so to take advantage of the near-perpetual breezes here. The transom windows over the bedroom doors on the second floor are a testament to that. In fact, in some of the rooms at the Retreat House, door hooks are offered near the baseboard to keep open doors from slamming closed in the breeze. The Farm House and the Retreat House are both cited at the highest elevations on the point and if you open a door or window for cross-ventilation, the rooms remain quite comfortable most of the time. The exception is the few days in July or August when the air is still and the humidity coupled with higher temperatures does not afford a breeze.
Regardless of the reality, we wanted to be able to assure our guests that their accommodations are comfortable year-round. This spring, we partnered with Mike from Domestic Air Conditioning and Refrigeration to bring air conditioning to our guest rooms in both homes. He finished the installation of the system we roughed in in 2005. The Retreat House bedrooms have central air conditioning with the exception of one room in suite 1, which has a window unit. The Farm House bedrooms all have window units with the exception of suite 12 on the lower level that does not need air conditioning because it always stays comfortable. We are glad to have this amenity to offer to our guests. We know that now they will slumber comfortably, even on the warmest, stillest of summer nights.
Are you ready to visit French’s Point to see if it is a good fit for your gathering? To ensure privacy for our guests and families while they vacation here at French’s Point, we close the estate to tours when it is occupied. You will enjoy this same privacy during your stay with us. The best times to schedule a visit are typically Sunday after 1pm through Wednesday during our business hours (9am-4pm daily). There are some exceptions to this because our guests can extend their reservations by a night or two. This is most common over the long weekends. Sunday afternoon tour times fill quickly due to the limited weekend availability. The estate is closed to tours for national holidays of Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day when we are typically enjoying our own family time together at French’s Point.
If you are planning a trip to visit French’s Point, please contact us in advance to confirm our availability and schedule a tour. We would love to pencil your appointment in and show you what makes French’s Point so special to the families that choose to celebrate here.
246 Hersey Retreat Road
Stockton Springs, Maine